ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES AND POPULAR TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- 4 X 4 Adventures
- Archaeological Sites
- Abseiling and Rock Climbing
- Art and Culture Sites
- Animal Rehabilitation Centres
- Bird Watching
- Botanical Gardens
- Bush Walks / Trails
- Bungee / Swinging
- Reptile Park
- Caves and Caverns
- Kloofing / Canyoneering
- Canoeing / Kayaking
- River Fly Fishing / Family Trout Fishing
- Flying / Gliding
- Gold Panning
- Historical Sites
- Helicopter and Micro light Flights
- Horse Riding
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Museums / Monuments
- Mountain Biking
- Natural Wonders
- Nature Reserves
- Paragliding / Hang gliding
- Quad biking
- River Rafting and Tubing
- Tree Top Tours
- Wild Life
THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK
The Kruger National Park conserves not only natural, but also cultural heritage. There are almost 254 known cultural heritage sites in the Park, including nearly 130 recorded rock art sites.
Look out for :
|The Big Five||Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion and Rhino|
|The Little Five||Buffalo Weaver, Elephant Shrew, Leopard Tortoise, Ant Lion and Rhino Beetle|
|Birding Big Five||Ground Hornbill, Kori Bustard, Lappet-faced Vulture, Martial Eagle and Saddle-bill Stork|
|Five Trees||Baobab, Jackal-berry, Weeping Boerbean, Marula, Leadwood|
|The Secret Seven||African Wild Cat, Genet, Civet, Aardvark, Pangolin, Honey Badger and Serval.|
SUDWALA CAVES AND DINOSAUR PARK
The oldest dolomite caves in the world. The Dinosaur Park is the biggest and most scientifically accurate park of this kind in the world.
LONG TOM PASS
Provides fine panoramic views of the valley of the Sabie River and is one of the most spectacular mountain passes in the country. With a summit of 2169m it is one of the highest major roads in South Africa.
A town born from the 1800’s Gold Rush and is today the only town in South Africa that has been declared a museum in its entirety. In the old Royal Hotel you can almost hear the honky-tonk pianos and see the can-can girls of yester-year.
BLYDE RIVER CANYON
The third largest natural canyon in the world with magnificent views at the Three Rondavels view point.
At an altitude of 1730m, offers magnificent views across the Lowveld, Kruger National Park and the Lebombo mountain range in the distance. Visitors overlook a sheer 1000m drop into the Lowveld.
BOURKE’S LUCK POTHOLES
Are deep cylindrical holes formed by the action of sand and rock when the rivers were in flood. A beautiful natural phenomenon.
Magnificent views of the famous peaks of quartzite and shale known as the Three Rondavels.
- LONE CREEK - About 9km from Sabie. A lovely short walk (200m) brings you to the falls which are 68m high and have been declared a National Monument.
- HORSE-SHOE FALLS - Are about 4km from Sabie. The cascade type falls form a perfect horseshoe when the river is in flood and have been declared a National Monument. This is also the site of one of the first sawmills in Sabie.
- BRIDAL VEIL FALLS - A short uphill trail (750m) through indigenous forests leads to the falls. If Fairies live anywhere, this is it!
- SABIE FALLS - The waterfall plunges 73m down the gorge. This is the gorge you will overlook when staying with us.
- MACMAC FALLS - The twin 56m falls are the best known and close by are the Mac Mac Pools, naturally formed rock swimming pools – an ideal family picnic spot with swimming for the kids.
- MARIA SHIRES FALLS - In honour of pioneer, Maria Shires. A truly distinguished pioneering family who opened the way for the gold and tree wealth of today.
- FOREST FALLS - The breadth of these falls is greater than the height. They can only be viewed by walking the 4.5km Forest Falls Nature Trails.
- LISBON FALLS - Are the highest in the area. The water drops off a sheer cliff to the pool 92m below
- BERLIN FALLS - Plunge 47.8m to a deep dark pool.
FOREST INDUSTRY MUSEUM
Situated in Sabie it is the only museum of its kind in South Africa.
ST PETER’S CHURCH IN SABIE
Was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and built by Italians in 1913.
HIKES – any nature lovers dream
- Loerie Day Trail
- Forest Falls Nature Walk is a 4.5km circular route
- Secretary Bird Day Trail is a 3km crescent route
- Fanie Botha Hiking Trail there are various options ranging from 2 to 5 night trails. The shortest route on this challenging trail is 17.1km and longest route is 58.8km
- Graskop Day Trail is 13.3km circular trail
The Lowveld is a golfer’s paradise. We have world-class courses set in some of the most spectacular scenery in South Africa.
ALL OF THESE ACTIVITIES ARE WITHIN MAXIMUM ONE HOURS SCENIC DRIVE FROM SABIE. THIS ESTABLISHES SABIE AS THE IDEAL BASE FOR TOURING THE AREA. WHY KEEP MOVING AROUND WITH ALL OF THIS ON YOUR DOORSTEP?